Flavor Review Request of UbuntuKylin

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 19 03:01:47 UTC 2013

On 02/18/2013 04:10 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> When you say "We" have a formal relationship with the Kylin team, who is "We",
> what is the nature of the relationship, and (because it appears to then be
> relevant), what is this Kylin team?

'We' is Canonical in this context. The relationship is that we've agreed
to contribute engineering support that we would previously put into the
Chinese Edition, into joint work, which we'll call 'Ubuntu Kylin'. The
Kylin team previously was working on their own distro, called Kylin. A
Kylin is the lion you'll see outside many Chinese buildings, a symbol of
luck and well-being.

There is some precedent for this - you'll be aware of a number of Ubuntu
derivatives that have government sponsorship of one form of another.

> If this new Ubuntu flavor is approved, will it be allowed to be distributed in
> China without further modification that would compromise it's freeness?

Yes. There would almost certainly be an OEM version which may include
things like WPS, just as the OEM builds of Ubuntu often include codecs,
Flash and other consumer-friendly modifications that are unlikely to
gather the support of RMS :). Nevertheless, that makes them a more
viable contender against Windows and other platforms that would
otherwise be shipped.

Mark