[MRE] Iscsitarget 1.4.20.3+svn490 into Precise

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at canonical.com
Fri Dec 20 21:15:26 UTC 2013

Hi Stefan,

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 04:31:39PM +0100, Stefan Bader wrote:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/iscsitarget/+bug/1262712

> While looking into the required kernel parts it seemed to be a reasonable move
> to actually backport the complete source package as those seemed to be bugfixes
> to the tools only.

> Normally this would be presented to the technical-board if that was still (or
> again) present. This is unfortunately a bit last minute but should go into
> Precise before finalizing the 12.04.4.

In the absence of a TB, we can still discuss how this package fits the MRE
rules.

Generally, MREs are granted for packages that have upstream bugfix-only
branches, that undergo upstream QA (or include thorough test suites) so that
we can feel confident that the update won't cause regressions, without
having to subject the changes to the kind of close scrutiny that we give to
other SRUs.

It sounds like this iscsitarget branch may meet the requirement of a
bugfix-only branch; can you confirm that the 1.4.20.x series is *guaranteed*
to be bugfix-only, or is that just current practice?  If it's not
guaranteed, we might prefer to make a one-time exception instead of having a
standing micro-release exception.

The other point is QA.  If we aren't planning to individually test the
upstream changes for regressions, how do we verify the backport as a whole?
The testcase you include in the bug looks to me like a good smoke test, but
I would be worried that it's not broad enough to catch all probable issues.

Thanks,