Heads Up: Smart Scopes Not Landing

Iain Lane laney at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 8 17:11:13 UTC 2013

Hi there,

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 09:25:50AM -0700, Jono Bacon wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I just wanted to give you what I think is a pretty uncontroversial heads up
> as I promised to do a better job preparing our leaders for any
> announcements.
>
> As some of you will know, the dash team has been working to get the new
> smart scopes functionality in the dash ready for 13.04; this functionality
> delivers a far more comprehensive dash experience, performing searches over
> 50 or more different data sources.
>
> The team has been working as part of a Feature Freeze Exception (FFe) to
> get this into 13.04. but unfortunately the feature is simply not mature
> enough for 13.04

I've only just seen this as I've been away for a fortnight. I just
wanted to quickly show some appreciation for knowing when to back off
from landing something that you've worked hard on for a long time. It
shows an increasing level of maturity. It might have been tempting to
put this in and then fix it up later with SRUs if necessary, which
wouldn't have been the best way to go about things. Ideally in future we
can work towards not having to request freeze exceptions at all. :-)

So, kudos from me.

Cheers,

--
Iain Lane                                  [ iain at orangesquash.org.uk ]