nvidia-experimental package with expedited SRU process?

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 11 03:57:29 UTC 2012

Bryce Harrington [2012-09-10 13:22 -0700]:
> On Tue, Sep 04, 2012 at 08:45:35AM -0500, Mario Limonciello wrote:
> > As a side note, I believe the ethos behind the "nvidia-current" name was to
> > represent the presently stable nvidia driver version.  Appending the
> > -updates to "nvidia-current" or -experimental to it may be convoluting that
> > namespace and/or confusing the user.
> >
> > Would just making it "nvidia-stable", "nvidia-updates", and
> > "nvidia-experimental" perhaps make more sense?
>
> Hi Mario, just to follow up on this question...  I've discussed this
> with Alberto and we agree the 'nvidia-current-updates' package name is a
> bit clumsy.  However since we're planning on doing quite a bit with
> package backports we think the least disruptive time to redo package
> names is during 14.04 LTS development.

nvidia-updates would also not fit the current schema. We have
nvidia-series{,-updates}, where "series" is "96", "173", "current",
or "experimental", and at least the first three can always come in an
-update flavour. So nvidia-updates would presumably be
nvidia-current-updates, but what do we do about nvidia-173-updates?

TBH I'd just keep them as they are.

Martin