Mythbuntu LTS plan

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Mon May 28 21:09:50 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 10:20:45AM -0700, Mario Limonciello wrote:
> So with all of that said, our team all agrees that it makes more sense to
> only ship ISO images of LTS releases.  We can continue to provide packages
> that work with the archive and misc transitions as the archive evolves
> during interim releases.  But not creating ISO images at the new interim
> releases, we would help cater to what our users are asking for while being
> able to reduce our effort with every cycle in fixing every problem related
> to the ISO creation.
>
> We'd still like to spin updated point releases of the LTS releases, but no
> new features would be introduced during those point releases.  That way we
> can still provide updates for the users introducing new hardware that they
> need the support from backported kernels and software stack versions.  So
> we'll still be signed up for testing those respins, it should be a lot less
> effort than all the bugs that get introduced with interim releases and need
> to be fixed constantly throughout the cycle.
>
> What does the tech board think of this proposal?

(Speaking for myself alone) I have some qualms, mainly around whether
you're going to be able to get good testing in the development release
of things like Mythbuntu-specific installer changes if you stop testing
the non-LTS images; but overall your rationale seems sound enough and I
don't see why you shouldn't try this out.

Do you intend to keep building dailies?  I think you might suffer some
bitrot otherwise.

Do you think we could review how this has gone after T?