Micro release Exception for Nova, Swift, Glance, and Keystone

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Mon May 14 20:09:49 UTC 2012

Hello Clint,

Clint Byrum [2012-05-06 12:12 -0700]:
> Excerpts from Martin Pitt's message of Sat May 05 12:52:34 -0700 2012:
> > The current SRU has been in -proposed for 5 months now, without any
> > feedback about formal testing, and has been supeseded by a security
> > update months ago as well. So based on this I think we'll need a few
> > more trial runs before I agree to a general microrelease exception.
> >

> I'm not so sure I agree that there has been no feedback.

There are certainly verified bugs, but I meant feedback in the sense
of "we ran these test suites and these regression tests with the
proposed version and they all succeeded".

> The nova SRU fixed *38* bugs. Our usual SRU verification process is
> mostly cumbersome red tape compared to the review process that the stable
> updates team for OpenStack used to get these fixes in. 8 of the 38 bugs
> were verified.

Exactly, MREs with new upstream versions are usually like that: We
don't verify that every single of many bugs is actually fixed, but we
have a plan for regression tests with good coverage (which is the more
important part for these updates).

> The whole point of these types of exceptions is that we get more fixes
> shipped to users when an upstream project takes sufficient steps to
> reduce regression potential.

I agree. But I haven't seen any regression testing, so I was wondering
what happened behind the scenes there.

Thanks,

Martin