GNOME MRE exception

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 14 14:08:22 UTC 2012

Hello Sebastien,

Sebastien Bacher [2012-06-05 16:02 +0200]:
> The SRU team suggested that the desktop team should apply for a SRU
> MRE for GNOME to ease SRU work for precise (and other series) so
> there we go. GNOME used to have a standard feature freeze exception
> in Ubuntu and got granted MRE for lucid. Their schedule is reliable
> and they have ui, string and feature freezes on stable series.

Kees pointed out some troubles with hardy GNOME SRUs. I do not
actually remember those, perhaps Kees can point to an example?

Anyway, almost all GNOME point release packages were quite decent and
worthwhile to have, so in general I am in favor of this based on a
good multi-year track record. The one exception that comes to my mind
is the fairly recent glib change that deprecated something in
gsettings. However, this was not actually policy fail, just process
fail: the developer did not actually mean to commit this for the
stable release and just assumed master would already be for the next
major development series.

So in sum, I agree to you that desktop and SRU team members should
still review NEWS very carefully, and checking that the (filtered)
diff looks reasonable. But that is true for all other MREs as well, so
I don't consider that a special case.

So +1 from me as well.

We have three +1 now and an "yet undecided" from Kees; Soren,
Stephane, any opinion?

Thanks,

Martin