micro release exception for LibreOffice

Kees Cook kees at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 13 20:13:56 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 10:05:03PM +0200, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Le 13/06/2012 21:46, Kees Cook a écrit :
> >The upstream requirements and test suite requirements are very nicely
> >met, but without a demonstrable history of successful Ubuntu SRUs,
> >I think it's premature to grant an MRE.
> Hey Kees,
>
> So to summarize:
> - we have regression in precise and some unfixed data loss bugs
> - we have a SRU ready to address those (new upstream point release)
> - the SRU team is not wanting to review that update since we don't
> have SRU rules compliant tracking for every single commit in the
> update and they suggested to apply for MRE
> - the TB teem is not wanting to grand a MRE
> - the libreoffice maintainer position is that libreoffice is too
> complex to "cherry pick" the fixes we need in a reasonable timeframe
> while assuring we don't break thing (he trusts upstream testing of
> the whole update over what a cherry pick in Ubuntu would provide)
>
> What do you suggest as a way out of this situation?

It needs to be solved with the SRU team, IMO. My take on the MRE process
is that it represents a recognition from the TB that past SRUs have been
so successful that there is no reason for the SRU team to examine future
SRUs. It wasn't designed as a way to bypass the quality controls of the
SRU process.

Currently, it sounds like the SRU process for LO isn't working, and I
feel that's a separate problem. I think Colin's suggestions on improving
this are probably a good first step.

-Kees

--
Kees Cook