Mesa provisional MRE

Christopher James Halse Rogers christopher.halse.rogers at canonical.com
Thu Jul 12 13:07:40 UTC 2012

The X team and I would like to get a MRE for mesa stable point releases.
As a first crack at this, I'm asking for a provisional MRE for mesa
8.0.3 in precise-updates.

Mesa releases micro releases from its stable branch; 8.0.3 is the third
of these, there will be 8.0.4 shortly. The stable branch generally
doesn't see further updates after the next major release, but some good
fixes tend to be accumulated until then.

Mesa is a bit of a special beast; it doesn't have in-source regression
tests but it *does* have an extensive regression and conformance suite
called piglit. Also, since Mesa touches hardware, running this
regression suite as a part of the build on the buildds does not make
sense. Instead I propose that we run piglit on the QA infrastructure -
there's a wide variety of graphical hardware in there, so we can be
reasonably confident that if piglit does not regress on the QA hardware
then it will not regress elsewhere. (Bryce has already run piglit
against 8.0.3 on all his hardware without regression)

In the past we've failed to pick up any but the simplest bugfixes for
mesa, both due to concerns about regressions and because all but the
simplest fixes appear quite complex, making the SRU team justifiably
nervous. I hope that piglit on the QA machines can sooth our concerns
about regressions, and that the MRE can make it easier for the SRU team
to accept.