Ubuntu Developer Survey and Next Steps

Iain Lane laney at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 8 23:03:32 UTC 2011

Hi there,

Thanks for taking the poll.

On Thu, Sep 08, 2011 at 03:40:47PM -0700, Jono Bacon wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have just published the report highlighting the findings from the
> Ubuntu Developer Survey I ran recently. It is at http://www.jonobacon.org/2011/09/08/ubuntu-developer-survey-report-and-next-steps/
>
> I think it would be useful to organize a joint TB/DMB meeting to
> discuss the findings. Maybe we could do this at the next scheduled
> TB meeting - would you folks be open to that?

The next TB meeting isn't for 2 weeks, which is quite a while. We have a
DMB meeting on Monday @ 1900UTC though, which could work? We've got one
application to do and Micah's appointment to ratify so if you guys join
us at 1930? We could maybe carry on until 2100 if necessary. Dunno, just
a thought.

Having read the report, I'm concerned about the low response rate. Also
some of the comments quoted talk about going to the TB or MOTU council,
processes which haven't been used for quite a significant amount of
time, which makes me wonder that the information isn't fresh. This is
further backed up by your graph about Canonical employment. Take a look
at Mackenzie's recent record keeping

  http://people.ubuntu.com/~maco.m/dmb_record_keeping.html

and note the proportion of recent (since February) applicants that
worked for C. This indicates to me that a serious number of people who
have been through the DMB process (and /especially/ a significant number
of people who interacted with the current DMB, who were the butt of the
recent "discussions") didn't reply to the survey.

Cheers,

--
Iain Lane                                  [ iain at orangesquash.org.uk ]
Debian Developer                                   [ laney at debian.org ]