Ubuntu Developer Survey and Next Steps

Jono Bacon jono at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 9 01:20:30 UTC 2011

On 09/08/2011 04:03 PM, Iain Lane wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Thanks for taking the poll.
Thanks for reading it. :-)
> On Thu, Sep 08, 2011 at 03:40:47PM -0700, Jono Bacon wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> I have just published the report highlighting the findings from the
>> Ubuntu Developer Survey I ran recently. It is at http://www.jonobacon.org/2011/09/08/ubuntu-developer-survey-report-and-next-steps/
>>
>> I think it would be useful to organize a joint TB/DMB meeting to
>> discuss the findings. Maybe we could do this at the next scheduled
>> TB meeting - would you folks be open to that?
> The next TB meeting isn't for 2 weeks, which is quite a while. We have a
> DMB meeting on Monday @ 1900UTC though, which could work? We've got one
> application to do and Micah's appointment to ratify so if you guys join
> us at 1930? We could maybe carry on until 2100 if necessary. Dunno, just
> a thought.
I think that is a great idea - would others be happy to join this meeting?
> Having read the report, I'm concerned about the low response rate. Also
> some of the comments quoted talk about going to the TB or MOTU council,
> processes which haven't been used for quite a significant amount of
> time, which makes me wonder that the information isn't fresh. This is
> further backed up by your graph about Canonical employment. Take a look
> at Mackenzie's recent record keeping
>
>    http://people.ubuntu.com/~maco.m/dmb_record_keeping.html
>
> and note the proportion of recent (since February) applicants that
> worked for C. This indicates to me that a serious number of people who
> have been through the DMB process (and /especially/ a significant number
> of people who interacted with the current DMB, who were the butt of the
> recent "discussions") didn't reply to the survey.
I think you raise good points, Laney. I am not suggesting we should only
look at the data in the report I presented, or that we should consider
it empirical (the lower response rate is a valid concern), but I do
think it could be a useful start to the discussion and then to bring in
other data, such as maco's content too.

     Jono

--
Jono Bacon