Streamlining package set management

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Sat Nov 5 11:43:51 UTC 2011

On 10/10/11 21:27, Iain Lane wrote:
> An issue highlighted in the developer survey was that package set
> management is a bit too bureaucratic. We just discussed this at the DMB
> meeting[0] and I proposed some relatively minor changes to the process
> that should streamline it a bit.
>
>   - As a matter of policy, each package set has a single uploader, which
>     is a team. The DMB can either handle applications to the team or
>     delegate to an appopriate council if one is set up.

Can the upload processing system handle multiple uploaders/teams? If so,
then the DMB also has the option of compositing teams. I say this
because we've generally found it's better to have an ACL than to try and
construct a new team every time you want to give a permission to two teams.

>   - Applications for new package sets must come with some clear criteria
>     that the DMB can apply when adding subsequent packages in future.
>     The criteria must make it clear how the DMB is to check whether
>     proposed additions are suitable. The criteria forms part of the
>     package set application, along with the initial list of packages,
>     and will be recorded in the uploader team's description.
>
>   - Package additions are done by requesting on devel-permissions. Any
>     DMB member will check against the criteria and add if it matches (or
>     feed back if not).

Similarly, can a package be in multiple package sets? It should be
possible, and if so, the DMB might also want to check if adding the
package to the packageset would impact on other teams, and ensure
there's mutual awareness and coordination.

>  - (Added since the meeting) Requests for package additions will be
>     aged for three(?) days on devel-permissions, in order to allow time
>     for DMB members to object. If there are objections that cannot be
>     resolved over email then the matter will be taken to the next DMB
>     meeting.
>
> TB & DMB, what do you think of this?

+1 from me, apologies if that comes too late to be useful.

Mark