[Launchpad-dev] Removing ubuntu-branches and ubuntu-techboard celebrities

James Westby james.westby at canonical.com
Tue May 31 02:01:30 UTC 2011

On Mon, 30 May 2011 17:28:14 -0400, "Francis J. Lacoste" <francis.lacoste at canonical.com> wrote:
> For official package branch, this change would affect James Westby as he's the
> only member of ubuntu branches that is not part of the technical board.
>
> Maybe what's needed is to fix https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/365098
> and allow anyone who can upload the package to set the official link. The
> question then becomes, do we need to fix that bug before proceeding (in other
> word, would there be unwanted fall-outs from restricting this to the current
> distribution owners.)

Yes, that bug needs to be fixed before removing the celebrity, or some
other way of keeping the importer working needs to be found.

The importer currently runs with my credentials in order to be able to
do all of the things that it needs to do (handily I am a core-dev and a
member of ~ubuntu-branches, which equates to full permission to do
everything that it needs to do.) We want to change this anyway, but
haven't ever got to doing it.

The importer frequently sets official branches (e.g. when a new package
is uploaded to Ubuntu,) and so this needs to continue to work, but I
don't feel strongly about the exact mechanics.

To put it another way the importer needs to have

  * ability to push to every official branch for Debian and Ubuntu (to
    keep them up to date)
  * ability to set the official branches for Debian and Ubuntu (to add
    them when something new appears, e.g. new package, first security
    update for a package to a particular release)

and it uses all of those permissions regularly, so any temporary removal
would disrupt its operation.

Thanks,

James