Discussion about the approval process on the TB list

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Fri Jul 8 18:44:05 UTC 2011

On 07/08/2011 07:49 PM, Michael Bienia wrote:
> Hello,
>
> in case you didn't notice, Jono started a discussion about the
> developer approval process on the TB list [1]. I just noticed this by
> reading my scrollback of #ubuntu-devel [2]. Feel free to comment on
> the TB list.
>
> Michael
>

> 1:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/technical-board/2011-July/000957.html

(Re-aligning the Ubuntu Developer Process)
> 2: http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/07/07/%23ubuntu-devel.html#t21:33

Thanks Michael for the link to that discussion.

I'm just a bit surprised that the DMB wasn't Cced on Jono's post as it'd
seem like a good idea of including the board in question when talking
about changing the way we approve candidates.

I didn't spend too much time thinking about this issue yet, but so far
I'm still convinced that having documented metrics like "2 +1s from
coredev" to get membership isn't the right way to do it.

With regard to testimonials, it's always the first thing I look at and
indeed testimonials from well-known contributors of the Ubuntu community
help a lot to get upload rights and I think it's the way it should be.
Body of work is secondary when evaluating whether we should grant the
rights to someone or not.

Where body of work matters to me is when checking if someone actually
needs the upload rights in question and that's why I usually go through
everything that an applicant uploaded and when needed ask questions
about interest for upload rights outside of their area of expertise.

For a while now, we have these package sets and teams associated with
them, so that in a lot of cases, an applicant doesn't need to be a Core
dev to start with.
Unfortunately these aren't visible on Launchpad and very few people
think of applying for upload rights to one of them and instead apply for
Core dev.

Exceptions to that is obviously someone who actually needs to contribute
to the "core" package set, people with large area of contribution and
people who are willing to mentor and sponsor other people's uploads.

I think that a good way of getting more uploaders in the project is to
spend more time advertising these package sets, making sure everyone
know they exist and when needed, create more of them.

Then getting limited upload rights (if you can call "all server
packages" limited) should be relatively easy and when someone starts
piling up these, it's definitely time to make them a Coredev.

- --
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer
http://www.ubuntu.com