Status of Lubuntu

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 27 07:57:05 UTC 2011

Hi Julien

Thanks for writing to us and for the great work and progress of Lubuntu
in the past 2 years. The fact that you are now 100% in the archive, and
using PPA's and other tools effectively, makes it possible for us to
consider recognising Lubuntu as an official part of the project.

On 26/04/11 23:47, Julien Lavergne wrote:
> As an non-official flavor, we can't use some ressources
> available :
> - Building ISO
> - Using ISO bug tracker
> - Booking sessions at UDS
> Even with an official status, I know that this couldn't be done in the
> short term. However, we don't spend time to maintain our tools to
> generate ISO, because we think an official adoption will make them
> obsolete. If we can't gain the status of official flavor, we will spend
> more time for them, but the non-decision make us quite uncomfortable.

Other folk on the TB are in a better position to comment on the ISO
building and bug tracker tools.

>From my perspective, I see no problem in providing Lubuntu with the
means to book sessions at UDS, and for us to call attention to Lubuntu
in the project release notes. On the UDS front, it's possibly not too
late to enable this for Lubuntu at UDS in Budapest next month, and I've
cc'd Jorge and Jono for comment on that.

Our goal with Ubuntu is to ensure that the archive contains the full
richness of free software. LXDE is definitely part of that, and with the
other desktop environments making greater demands on PC resources, LXDE
has a continued role to play.

Mark