ARB legality checks

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 16 14:53:37 GMT 2010

Dear ARB members,

I have an action from a few TB meetings ago to check that the legality
checks applied by the ARB are in sync with those applied by
ubuntu-archive.  The only information I can find on what the ARB does is
here:

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PostReleaseApps/Process

which says:

  Applications must be Open Source and available under an OSI approved
  license.

Admittedly, the ubuntu-archive documentation on this
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArchiveAdministration#NEW%20Processing) is none
too clear either, but we do have a few links.  Here are the important
checks we do over and above simply checking that the application is open
source, summarised from
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/Basic#Copyright and
http://ftp-master.debian.org/REJECT-FAQ.html.

These matter because there are situations of licence conflicts that can
put us in violation of even open source licences if we get things wrong
(violating the GPL *automatically* terminates your rights under it ...),
so I do think the ARB should be aware of them.

(I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.)

  * It must be clear which licence applies to each source file.  (Some
    ubuntu-archive people check whether there's a licence statement on
    all files; my understanding is that a licence document that clearly
    applies to the whole package is sufficient.)  This is probably a
    subset of your existing checks, but we often find that a package has
    the GPL at the top of it and then there are some other licences
    hiding elsewhere, so do check.

  * Files shipped under the GPL must be in their preferred form for
    modification (e.g. no .swf files under the GPL without some other
    source file).  Use suspicious-source from ubuntu-dev-tools to help.

  * If the package uses the GPL or LGPL, it needs to say which
    version(s).

  * Copylefted files must only be linked with files which don't impose
    any additional restrictions.  In practice the main situation where
    this comes up is that you don't get to link GPLed files together
    with OpenSSL, unless you have a special exception for all the GPLed
    files.  Distributing the two alongside each other ("mere
    aggregation") is OK.  If you're not sure how to tell the difference
    (which can be tricky), ask - maybe ask a lawyer if in doubt.

  * Be careful with different versions of the GPL and LGPL when packages
    use libraries: not all combinations are OK.  For instance, you can't
    use an LGPLv3 library from a GPLv2-only program, although if it uses
    the "or later" clause it's OK.

  * Many licences say that you aren't allowed to distribute the program
    without the licence text (reasonably enough).  We make an exception
    for things in /usr/share/common-licenses/ since we put those on
    everyone's system, but otherwise the package needs to come with a
    copy of the licence as well as simply saying which licence applies.

  * I think we should probably ensure that the licence isn't specific to
    us ("Canonical may ..." or "Ubuntu may ...").  My understanding is
    that we want mirrors to be able to legally mirror all of
    extras.ubuntu.com.

I don't think, of course, that you need to be as strict as
http://ftp-master.debian.org/REJECT-FAQ.html in general, nor do I think
it's necessary to shove all of this in applicants' faces; most simple
applications written by the applicant aren't likely to have a problem,
and interpreted applications have a simpler time of it anyway since the
"binaries" are transparent.  We just need to make sure we're on the same
page regarding what source and (especially) binaries we're entitled to
distribute.

Comments?  Where would be a good place to record this kind of thing?

Thanks,