Mumble for everyone

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Fri May 28 19:27:49 BST 2010

Hey!

On 28 May 2010 17:44, Jono Bacon <jono at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-05-28 at 16:59 +0100, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
>> And Alan, is there a single team that has all the LoCo people, or would
>> that mean adding an ACL to the Mumble server for each team?
>
> One of the benefits of IRC is that it is open to all, but that would not
> scale well for Mumble. As such, I would like to recommend that we
> instead focus Mumble as a replacement for conference calls; such as
> team-meeting calls, and I think Ubuntu Membership will serve as a good
> authentication requirement for these calls.

Vox is also a very much more real-time communication protocol than
IRC. One can walk away from their computer in the middle of a meeting
and know they wont miss anything because they have the benefit of
scroll-back. With IRC, contributors can access meetings from pretty
much anywhere given either a web browser or an IRC client. That
basically means anywhere there's a wifi/3g connection. For corporate
users we have webchat which lets people get on IRC whilst at work or
behind other restrictive firewalls/proxies.

Mumble requires a client install which - whilst it is multi-platform -
it's nowhere near as multi-platform as HTTP or SSH. I appreciate that
a small bump to get over isn't hard for contributors, they're used to
putting themselves out to help the cause, but we need to be mindful
that some people can't in certain circumstances.

Whilst I appreciate that we are not deprecating IRC, I think mumble
needs to be marketed as a value-add rather than a replacement for
anything existing right now.

Cheers,
Al.