Mumble for everyone

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Fri May 28 16:59:06 BST 2010

On 28/05/10 14:40, Alan Pope wrote:
> Approved members and approved locos (which would include non-members,
> but people who are 'in' the ecosystem)? LoCos could benefit from this
> immensely as this could help facilitate first-language meetings.

That's useful.

Erik, do you know if we can enable access to a Mumble server for
multiple teams, as well as ACL's per room?

And Alan, is there a single team that has all the LoCo people, or would
that mean adding an ACL to the Mumble server for each team?

> There are three problems I see.
> * Recording minutes / URLs / taking votes. Some level of discipline is
> required to take notes and record minutes of the meetings.

Good IRC meetings require minutes too, it's not enough just to have the
log. A gobby doc and go :-)

> Alternatively someone could record/archive the audio conversation.
> Potential legal issues recording people? (I don't know)

Hmm... good point.

> * Accessibility. Kinda goes along with the previous point, but if
> there are deaf/mute people in the group then their needs need to be
> catered for.

They'll have to avoid vox then. But that's no reason for us to deprecate
vox.

> * Technology issues. Often people can spend ages getting their audio
> working, wasting time in a meeting. People join and sound like a cylon
> or darth vader, which can disrupt the flow also. With IRC it's easy to
> ignore people arriving/leaving, not so easy when they bring with them
> a heap of background noise or broken audio.

There's typically a one-time setup cost. But because people start using
it all day, it quickly becomes a solved problem.

Mark