connman [was: Re: Proposal to Release Ubuntu 10.10 on 10.10.10]

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Tue May 11 10:40:16 BST 2010

Matt Zimmerman [2010-05-10 11:17 +0200]:
> Replacing Network Manager with connman on UNE would be a mistake
> regardless of which day in October we release on.

I concur that these two are rather unrelated, except of course the
fact that _if_ we are going with connman, we would have a lot less
time to stabilize it.

The following is my opinion as the Desktop Developer, not an official
statement with my Tech Board hat on:

It seems we are discussing to replace NM (which we have banged on for
3 years, and is now working really well) with a new solution which we
_know_ to be inferior. E. g. it excludes a major part of Russia
(pppoe) and China (DSL). I do understand that connman has a nicer
architecture and that NM is not very flexible, but I think we are
giving up NM far too easily in favor of a solution which will cost us
at least ten times the effort than it would cost us to change NM to
use system-level connections by default (which it already supports,
BTW).

Also, we are discussing installing one in UNE and the other in
GNOME/Kubuntu. Not only would this divert our development capacity and
greatly reduce the amount of testing that we get during maverick, but
it will also require us to do additional investments/hacks to not
break GNOME: Right now, a connman-indicator would start up in GNOME
regardless of whether nm-applet is already running, due to the totally
different ways indicators and nm-applet start up.

I think it's a great idea to start looking at connman now and taking
it as a potential NM replacement (across the board) once it's on par
with NM with the features of NM. I don't think it's a good idea to
committing to using it in Maverick even before we have run a
large-scale test with it.

Martin