Research on decentralized package management

Katherine Cox cox.katherine.e at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 05:18:13 GMT 2010

Bdale,

I really appreciate the response! This is exactly the type of discussion I
was hoping for :) I am going to counter some of the points you've made, but
please don't mistake that for me being argumentative. It is just my
personality type to gather a bunch of opinions and then come to a
conclusion. Right now I'm just trying to uncover my blind-spots :)

You bring up some interesting points regarding accountability, and some
things I hadn't considered; however, I am wondering if the current model is
the best way of solving this? When I download software from an ISV's site,
isn't it implied that the ISV is responsible for supporting it? And to
further that point, won't the ISV be better *able* to support their own
software? Also, I am not sure I understand your point about knowing where
your software came from. Maybe it's because of the idea I have in my head of
users going to like pidgin.im or something and downloading a package. I know
sometimes users are their own worst enemy, but do you think they wouldn't
know where applications came from?

In regards to step 4, rather than implement an "ideal standard" and demand
that everyone conform it - which I believe is the downfall of a lot of
things Linux - I was thinking of taking a more bottom-up approach. Standards
are important for sure, but when we're talking about something so
fundamental, I think it's better to lead than push :)

I am really trying to learn from the mistakes of others and talk to smart
people (hi!). Maybe this issue is insurmountable, but I'd like to know that
before I start development, not after! So really, thanks for the discussion
:)

Kate