Confusing intertwining of Ubuntu Development teams for Membership

Emmet Hikory persia at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 9 10:43:00 GMT 2010

Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> We should strive to have this as simple as possible, but no simpler.
<...>
> So, as a general pattern, we have preferred to create teams which
> reflect the set of people empowered by a particular council, or board.
<...>
> In the case of the developer space, we have specifically wanted
> to achieve two things:
>
>  - permissions management that is more closely coupled to domains, hence
>   - package sets, package-specific uploads, and delegation to teams
> like Kubuntu
>  - the ability to participate as a developer before fully qualifying for
> membership
>
> Please ensure that you don't push for a level of simplicity that makes
> it impossible to achieve those goals.

    Thank you for the clarification of goals.  I do not believe my
initial request to be compatible with this set of goals, and would
like that it be retracted.  Specifically:

1)  The initial request fails to maintain domain-coupling
2)  The initial request does not permit anyone to be granted upload
rights without membership

    I still think there is currently unnecessary complication in the
current group nesting, but I will need some time to propose a model
that meets these goals.

--
Emmet HIKORY