Default Search Change

Mike Basinger mike.basinger at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 17:11:26 GMT 2010

I agree with Matthew. I think if the user experience team feels that
Yahoo! gives as good an experience for search as Google for Ubuntu
users then I don't think it matters what the default is.

I did a unscientific test last night on commonly asked Ubuntu
questions (How to install Nvidia card, sound problems in Ubuntu,
Broadcom card in Ubuntu, etc...). Yahoo and Google put up similar
results, with most of the same pages listed on the first page of
search but in slightly different order. On Yahoo tech support answers
from blogs seemed to be ranked higher than official support channels
(help.ubuntu.com, wiki, forums). On Google, official Ubuntu source
rank slightly higher than blogs, with the forum ranking the highest
(which can be hit or miss on good tech support). This was only one
person doing five search, not enough to be a good sample of data.

I know from looking at the forums traffic, Google has about 200
crawlers pulling data from the forums at any given time while Yahoo
has about 20, of course the Yahoo crawler could be 10x more
efficient:).

Mike