libdvdnav regression and request for stable release update

Henti Smith henti at geekware.co.za
Tue Jan 12 20:55:44 GMT 2010

Good day.

I've been having issues watching and ripping DVD's on Karmic for weeks.
I finally found a thread which covers this with a patch for the problem.

The thread can be found here :
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gstreamer0.10/+bug/466389

The patch is a one line patch, which can be found here :
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/35367126/02-deadlock.patch

The regression is playing DVD's using libdvdnav stops working. At a
"main stream" linux distribution, loosing DVD playing capability and
only having it fixed in the next release of Ubuntu WILL damage the
reputation that ubuntu has in the mainstream market.

I highly recommend this fix be considered for a stable release update.

Regards
Henti Smith