armel in lucid: supported architectures vs. ports

James Troup james.troup at canonical.com
Tue Jan 12 13:13:41 GMT 2010

Colin Watson <cjwatson at ubuntu.com> writes:

> On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 07:19:13PM +0000, James Troup wrote:
>> Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> writes:
>> > Are the semantics of ports.ubuntu.com documented anywhere?  As far as
>> > I'm aware, the primary purpose of the "ports" separation is to keep
>> > mirror size manageable.
>>
>> I believe Colin's working up a more through reply to this, but
>> basically: yes.
>
> I've edited https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/PackageArchive,
> which used to contradict the statement above.  Could you please review
> it for correctness and clarity?

It looks good to me, although the pedant in me wants to nitpick over two
things:

 1) The list of Unofficial/Official seems to be based on today and
    ignores older releases which are still supported, e.g. I believe
    6.06 server is still supported for sparc and powerpc and that lpia
    was supported for at least some releases?  OTOH, perhaps adding this
    historical information will just confuse matters.

 2) the 'discontinued' notes for hppa and lpia are only in the Ports
    section, not the Official/Unofficial section which confused me at
    first.

I took the liberty of adding a link to the mirrors for releases and
archive.

--
James