Process for providing security updates for chromium-browser

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 18 18:21:20 BST 2010

Hello Chris,

Chris Coulson [2010-08-18 13:38 +0100]:
> I'm currently working on trying to get Chromium in to main for Maverick,

For the records, can you please point out why we need to have it in
main, especially after feature freeze?

On a purely personal perspective, I have started using Chromium a bit
for an OEM project I'm working on, and I was really amazed about some
of its shortcomings and bugs (like a lot of crashes on particular web
pages, or this total misconception of a configuration system). It
seems to me that they still have some way to go until they reach
Firefox' maturity.

So the reason I ask is that time will obviously work in our favour
here: in 6 months they might have stabilized their rapid development a
bit and might make changes to their release process which might be
more suitable for distros. (Well, I'm optimistic).

> - The stable branch receives updates for security fixes at a frequency
> of approximately every 10 - 14 days (this is based on the current upload
> pattern for Chromium).
> - The time between fixing a security issue in stable and then releasing
> it to the stable channel is typically less than 1 day (this is the
> window in which we need to prepare and test the Ubuntu builds).
> - New "major" versions are released to the stable channel approximately
> every 6 weeks. The purpose of these new major versions is to allow new
> features to trickle in to stable from the beta channel without users
> having to wait several months for a new version.
> - Once a new stable version is released, support for the previous one is
> ended immediately.

With a release cycle like this, I think we need to ask ourselves what
benefit we can still provide by offering it as an Ubuntu package? It
seems that the only sensible thing we could do under those conditions
is to keep up with packaging, building, and publishing new versions
without having any time for sensible testing, and we already
discussed that we can't provide much testing in the first place.

Unlike almost (i. e. all except firefox) all of our other packages, we
can't sensibly support any given version as part of a stable release
anyway, so at the moment you release, people will have an outdated
browser and will need to update.

Under these conditions, IMHO they could just as well download the
entire thing straight from Google. It's no different bandwidth-wise
and QA-wise, and it's also in line with what Google actually wants us
to do (based on UDS discussions with them).

So I agree with Rick's proposal to just provide an installer for it,
much like we distribute the flash plugin.

Martin