Request for packagset maintenance team for the kernel packages

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 12 21:02:48 BST 2010

On 12/04/10 04:30, Emmet Hikory wrote:
> Members of the Technical Board,
>     At the last Developer Membership Board meeting, the third
> applicant for upload to "kernel related pacakges" was approved.  Given
> the size of the team focused specifically on the kernel packages, and
> the expectation that additional kernel package uploaders will apply in
> the future, I would like to request that a launchpad team be created
> to contain the set of uploaders to the kernel and related packages to
> increase tansparency and ease administration of future kernel upload
> requests.  In the absence of a specific request by the deelopers
> concerned, it seems appropriate that the Developer Membership Board
> remain the administrator of this new team.

It's a reasonable request. The group of people with expertise and
interest there is pretty self-sustaining.

My one concern would be that it's also an area where we've had quite a
lot of Canonical folks join who don't have a generalist / packaging /
distro background. In the past, we've been careful to go through a very
transparent process (here) before permissions were granted. I'd want to
retain some sort of transparency to reassure the broader community that
the same values remained in place.

Mark