[storm] PostgreSQL issue

Adrian Klaver aklaver at comcast.net
Sun Oct 3 20:09:43 BST 2010

On Sunday 03 October 2010 8:50:10 am Rory Brown wrote:
> Interesting. So it seems this is a bug with how psycopg2 creates SQL.
> Perhaps I'll search around on that. Thanks for everyone's help!

No it is not. Follow the link mentioned in the previous reference:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-syntax-lexical.html#SQL-SYNTAX-IDENTIFIERS

Basically Postgres will fold mixed case identifiers to lower case unless the
identifiers where originally created inside of quotes. This follows the SQL
standard with the exception that the standard says to fold to upper case.

Examples:
TableName --> tablename
"TableName" --> "TableName"

So if you originally created a table/column name with quoted mixed case you will
always have to refer to it in quotes.

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver at comcast.net