[storm] Let's land support for Oracle!

Jamu Kakar jkakar at kakar.ca
Sun Nov 29 02:25:41 GMT 2009

Hi,

A number of people on this list have been contributing to branches
that add support for Oracle (and MSSQL 2005, but the looks of it) to
Storm.  This is really exciting, and I'd like to help get these
branches into trunk and part of our official releases.  That said,
I'm not really sure exactly what's required to do this, so the
purpose of this conversation is to come up with a list of tasks that
need to be done to get this code landed.

Here's the list of things I think need to be done.  Please add
missing items or correct me if I'm mistaken:

- It's not clear which Oracle branch(es) need to be reviewed.  I've
  taken a quick peek at lp:~zeomega/storm/zeomega_storm and it looks
  like it's fairly complete.  Before diving in an doing a thorough
  review, can someone involved with the work please confirm that
  this is the right place to look and that this is where we should
  focus review attention?

- What needs to be done to prepare an environment that can be used
  to run the test suite and exercise the changes made for these new
  backends?  Ideally, the instructions will come in the form of a
  patch to the README file, since it already contains setup
  instructions that describe the setup needed to run test for the
  existing supported backends.

- Have all contributors to the branches that are intended to land
  signed Canonical's contributor agreement?  If not, that will be
  required before the code can be accepted.  If there's any problem
  with this, please speak up now so that we don't spend time
  reviewing code that won't be accepted.

Have I missed anything?

Thanks,
J.