[storm] Moving Storm Forward

Brad Allen ballen at zeomega.com
Thu Jun 11 17:32:11 BST 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 11:09 AM, Vernon Cole <vernondcole at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 11:22 PM, Gustavo Niemeyer <gustavo at niemeyer.net>wrote:
>
>> > Project scope is what worries me about my own hopes (or is it dreams?)
>> for
>> > Storm.
>>
>> Supporting new databases is well within the wishes we have for the
>> project, so you can continue dreaming about it, and maybe they'll even
>> become reality at some point.
>>
>> > My "best" solution so far is to:
>> >   1) finish making Storm work on adodbapi on Windows
>> >   2) make a fork of adodbapi which will run on ado.NET using IronPython.
>> >   3) make Storm work on that platform
>> >   4) port adodbapi to IronPython on Mono on Linux.
>> >   5) make Storm work on that platform
>> >
>> > I think you will agree that is a very large scope.
>>
>> It actually doesn't look like a *lot* of work, once the basics are in
>> place.  If we make Storm work with adodbapi, I'd expect that getting
>> it to work with the other platforms should be a matter of tweaking it
>> up, rather than a massive amount of work.
>>

> True, each increment is a reasonable step, and I for one would like to
> pursue the project. ZeOmega has step 1 pretty much done, as far as MS-SQL is
> concerned.

Sorry, that's not true. We've designed the backend to support multiple
connectors and have it working with mxODBC and mxODBCConnect, but have not
yet added pymssql, adodbapi, and pyodbc. We've left open 'stubs' in the code
to add that functionality. As long as each of those returns an object that
provides DB API 2 compliant callables, it *should* work... (fingers
crossed).

Of those connectors, we'll probably be working next on adding pymssql
support. Any contributions from you to add the adodbapi connector would also
be welcome, of course.

--
ZeOmega
Open Minds' Open Solutions