[storm] Moving Storm Forward

Vernon Cole vernondcole at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 17:19:19 BST 2009

The following is Vernon Cole' response to James Henstrige's response to
Vernon...
[...]
>   The big difference
> between Storm and the other projects you've mentioned is that Storm
> does not have any full time developers: instead it is infrastructure
> used by a number of Canonical projects (Landscape, Launchpad and
> UbuntuOne).  This means that most of the contributions you see from us
> are driven by the needs of those projects (although we do try to
> review and merge changes from others).

Thanks. That explains a lot. There is no "storm team" as such, so nobody has
dedicated time for just that project. Things are clearer now.

> I think we can do better than we have in the past though, which is why
> I started this thread.  I don't expect community members to have a
> higher commitment to the project than us (if they are hacking on
> Storm, it is most likely to support one of their own projects too),
> but I'd like to see that effort put into the trunk.

I agree. My personal project would require a major enhancement in the base
code to really work well. It would not exist viably as a fork. This
discussion gives me hope that I could actually do it.

> >   I personally felt quite a cold reception [...]when I submitted an
> attempt to
> > make the tutorial more approachable. This has made me hesitate to make
> other
> > contributions.
>
> The problem with that branch was that it changed the tutorial from
> what we'd consider idiomatic Storm use to a form we would not
> recommend new users use.  If you took this as personal criticism
> rather than criticism of the change, I am sorry about that: it wasn't
> intended.  If you peruse the past bug and review comments, you'll find
> criticisms of pretty much every Storm developer's code.

Criticism is what reviews are for. I have been doing code reviews since the
late 1970's, so I understand that. In a very real way, my submission was
itself a criticism.  IMHO the tutorial really sucks -- err -- that is to say
-- is difficult for a person totally unacquainted with storm to understand.
I could not understand it at first, so I added training wheels until it made
sense to me.
  I realize that my changes reduced the value of the tutorial as sample
code. On the other hand, if a newbie cannot get through the tutorial, he or
she will never need sample code.
  The point is that I stuck my nose in, as an outsider, to a group who
didn't know me, and suggested a major change in style in one particular
area. Most groups would react badly to that, so I expected some negative
feedback. When the feedback seemed totally negative, and terse as well, I
figured that my suggestions would always be unwelcome, I packed up my stuff
and went back home. Apparently I misinterpreted. I will make another try.

--
Vernon