[storm] Moving Storm Forward

Drew Smathers drew.smathers at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 16:19:13 BST 2009

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 2:34 AM, James
Henstridge<james.henstridge at canonical.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Last week, a number of the Canonical Storm developers met at the
> Ubuntu Developer Summit and had a few informal discussions about Storm
> and how to improve the development process.  Below are some of my
> thoughts coming from those discussions.
>
> = Get More People Working on Trunk =
>
> If someone were to look at the revisions in Storm's trunk, they'd see
> that pretty much all the recent commits come from Canonical employees.
>  However, if they looked at the other branches registered on
> Launchpad, it is clear that there are a number of long lived feature
> branches containing significant contribution from the community.  The
> prominent ones are:
>
>  * twisted-integration
>  * Oracle support
>  * Microsoft SQL Server support
>
> While the current state of affairs might be workable for their current
> users, I think it would be beneficial to try and get them merged to
> trunk ASAP.

This sounds like a good idea to me.  While it's "workable" to maintain
two branches merged with stable, it leaves me a little on edge since
the code doesn't go through the normal test and release cycle.

> Some benefits of merging the branches include:
>
> 1. Make things easier for users who need features from more than one
> of these branches.  From bug and branch activity on Launchpad, it is
> clear that at least one person (Drew Smathers) has been using Oracle
> together with twisted-integration.
>
> 2. Easier handling of bug fixes.  If a developer working on the Oracle
> or MS-SQL branches, there is probably a temptation to fix unrelated
> bugs on those feature branches since they will be immediately useful
> to what they are working on.  Fixing the bug on trunk would require
> waiting for the fix to get merged and then attempting to merge trunk
> into the feature branch.  If the delta between trunk and what the
> developer is working on is small, then there shouldn't be much
> disadvantage to fixing things on trunk.
>
> 3. Easier to take advantage of features/bug fixes from trunk.  This is
> related to the previous one: if the branch a developer is using has
> diverged significantly from trunk, then it will be difficult for them
> to merge changes from trunk.
>
> Of course, there are some problems to overcome in merging Oracle and
> MS-SQL support.  I am currently able to run tests for all supported DB
> backends on my machine when committing to trunk, but that will be
> difficult with these two due to licensing and ties to Windows for
> MS-SQL.  Perhaps a buildbot instance might be the answer, if we can
> get appropriate slaves set up.

I should be able to make a buildbot slave from a dev server for
testing Oracle if you decide to take that route.