[storm] data separation

Johan Rydberg johan.rydberg at edgeware.tv
Wed Jan 28 08:19:17 GMT 2009

Gerdus van Zyl skrev:
>> But is it a good pattern to separate data in this way?
> That depends on the data of course, could you give a little more information?

The main reason is that I want to protect some data; for example
personal information.  The "unprotected" data will be serialized
and sent to external sinks.

Another reason is that some data is static, in my previous example,
only FooState will be frequently updated.

> And why do you want to share a primary key across multiple tables?

Because it's really a tuple; (Foo, FooState, FooPrivate).  Plus
you eliminate an integer in the table.

FooState and FooPrivate will always be created alongside Foo, so
in practice they will always have the same id anyhow.

 > It's almost never a good idea.

Could you maybe tell me why this is a bad idea?