[storm] Need packaging advice for storm.django and storm.zope

Kapil Thangavelu kapil.foss at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 13:42:39 BST 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 2:19 AM, Michel Alexandre Salim <
michael.silvanus at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I maintain the storm package for Fedora, and noticed that the latest
> release now supports being used as Django's ORM.

for some minimal definition of this term. it's supported as an alternative
orm in django, not a replacement. ie. it doesn't support any of
the documented django orm api. as a comparison the django-sqlalchemy project
reimplements the django orm layer ontop of sqlalchemy to offer
a replacement.

> Our packaging currently is quite modular, with all the RDBMS backends
> split out (thus -mysql, -postgresql and -sqlite, each of which
> "provides" -backend).
>
> I notice that storm.django requires storm.zope, and the latter in turns
> require the actual zope. So our packaging is a bit broken anyway,
> dependency-wise, because currently we have both of these within the main
> package, without requiring either Fedora's Django or Fedora's Zope.

neither storm.django or storm.zope incur additional dependencies if not
used. arguably they should be distributed
as separate python packages, or with feature enabled /optional dependencies
in setup.py/distutils config.

zope is a large set of hundreds of eggs, most zope applications need a
fraction of that. in particular, storm.django depends on a minimal set of
eggs from there, namely just zope.interface and zope.transaction. off course
whether or not that's meaningful to you would depend on the rpm packaging
granularity used for zope. the storm.zope provides additional optional
support for usage within a full zope environment but that effectively means
reading xml configuration which is a tautology on dependency fulfillment.

cheers,

kapil