[storm] suspected bug in caching behavior

Andreas Kopecky andreas.kopecky at meduniwien.ac.at
Tue Nov 11 12:10:55 GMT 2008

James Henstridge wrote:

> That is one of the revisions that was merged in r271 of Storm's trunk.
>  The bazaar.launchpad.net link shows the related changes that were
> merged with it, and has a "diff" link at the top.

ah ok. thank you.

> Are you using multiple connections/stores to produce this behaviour?
> The test case for this problem used 2 stores, but it'd be interesting
> to know if the problem can be reproduced with a single store.

The problem can definitly be reproduced with only 1 Store but using a
Zope instance with more then 1 thread. Therefor it is rather tricky
to write a testcase which produces this behavior consistently...

> Not clearing the alive list is intended behaviour.  The
> checkpoint_state bit obviously wasn't :)

I see. I was wondering about the fact that _load_object uses
Store._alive to fetch cached objects rather then using Store._cache
though. If it's intended behavior thats ok ofcourse - just wanted
to suggest possible means of fixing it

Btw: i did not get around to test the fix you sent me yet due to being
a bit busy with other things - i will write back (tomorrow at latest) if
it worked.

> That's nice to hear.  If you have ideas for improvements to the Zope
> integration API, please tell us (either on the list or the bug
> tracker).

Improvements... couldn't think of anything that didn't work
straightforward really. I did however write a Zope Container
implementation that simulates Containers as are common in ZODB based
on a relational database (i know that most say this is not a good idea
... but it really wasn't hard at all an allows to reuse most - i'd
say 95% - of Zope base architecture)... If you are interested in such
i'd happily send it around to you :)

- Andy