[storm] some questions about Storm (from the perspective of Grok)

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Thu Mar 13 21:51:37 GMT 2008

Hey Luciano,

Luciano Ramalho wrote:
[snip]
> - automatic generation of model code from database introspection (like
> Django does with its inspectdb command [1])
>
> [1] http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/legacy_databases/

Yes, something like this would be quite interesting. How good are
Storm's database introspection features, though? I would think that this
would require some form of database schema representation in Python.

> - megrok.thingdb: a ready-to-use schema that is flexible enough for
> many applications
>
> [2] http://demo.openlibrary.org/about/tech
> [3] http://pharos.infogami.com/tdb

Interesting, but I'm wondering how this would compare to the use of the
ZODB. Using such a simple database format seems to me to throw away many
of the benefits of using an RDB. You'd think the ZODB will beat any such
scheme in flexibility. Perhaps in scalability an RDB could still win,
but it's hard to say this without trying...

Regards,

Martijn