[storm] Storm presentation at Python user group

Bernd Dorn bernd.dorn at lovelysystems.com
Tue Feb 26 13:13:45 GMT 2008

On 24.02.2008, at 21:37, Brad Allen wrote:

> Bernd Dorn wrote:
>>
>> On 23.02.2008, at 19:58, Brad Allen wrote:
>>

>>> So far, I'm haven't heard of Storm being used in a production
>>> environment. Is that right?
>>
>> A high traffic site went online last week, we (Lovely Systems) use
>> storm for all ugc components there.
>>
>> http://www.zoomer.de
>>
>> We use storm together with postgresql, the ugc application does not
>> use ZODB at all.
>>
>> regards, Bernd
>>

> I would like to hear more about this if you are allowed to post
> architectural details. For example, are you using ZEO to cluster
> multiple Zope instances?  If so, how do you share Storm object
> instances across the multiple Zope instances?

We do not use zodb at all in the ugc components. the cms components
need to connect to the sql database for some special use-cases - we
use the same clases as for the ugc components. We do use zeo for the
cms, currently there are 3 editor cms instances, and 3 delivery
instances which mount the storage read-only. there is only one hot zeo
instance which has a cold standby instance. the data.fs is mounted
over a SAN. The whole stuff is cached by a varnish proxy, with an
nginx in front, doing SSI.

The ugc components are hosted on 3 zope instances that use a special
publication factory that does not require zodb.

We do not share storm objects accross zope instances. We dont have
that use-case.

I think there will be a blog post about the architecture as soon as we
get the ok for such a thing from our customer.

regards, Bernd

--
Lovely Systems, senior developer

phone: +43 5572 908060, fax: +43 5572 908060-77
Schmelzhütterstraße 26a, 6850 Dornbirn, Austria
skype: bernd.dorn