[storm] storm performance

Carlos Garcia Campos carlosgc at gnome.org
Tue Feb 12 10:51:49 GMT 2008

Hi all,

I've been using storm in some projects for some time now without
problems, however I have a project that needs to do a lot of insertions
and I've noticed a huge performance problem. The project is now much
slower than the old versions that didn't use storm.

So, I've written some small test cases to make sure no other things in
my project are causing the problem. Here are some results:

$ time ./sqlite.py

real	0m47.519s
user	0m44.607s
sys	0m2.120s

$ time ./stormm.py

real	9m37.220s
user	9m24.123s
sys	0m10.809s

both scripts insert 700000 records in the database. I've done the same
test with mysql and the results are quite similar.

Of course I knew that using storm could introduce a performance penalty,
but it's too big in this case. Any idea what could be the problem? maybe
storm isn't thought to be used like this? or am I doing something wrong?

The scripts I used can be found here: http://gsyc.es/~carlosgc/files/

Thanks,
--
Carlos Garcia Campos