Ubuntu Linux and GNOME: The Disputes conti

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Tue Mar 15 00:00:32 UTC 2011

Linux is the supercomputer operating system of choice
<http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/661>; thanks to Android, Linux
is becoming the most popular smartphone operating system
<http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/android-to-control-half-of-smartphone-market-say-analysts/38881>
of them all;and Linux continues to make gains in the server market
<http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/idc-dollarwise-windows-still-leads-the-server-market/8825>.
But, when it comes to the desktop, no matter how you measure it, Linux
has never how more than a tiny share of the desktop market
<http://practical-tech.com/uncategorized/is-the-linux-desktop-dream-dead/3186>.
Why? Well, I can give you lots of reasons, but one that Mark
Shuttleworth founder of Canonical <http://www.canonical.com>, the
company behind the popular Ubuntu <http://www.ubuntu.com> Linux
distribution, has pointed out that there's a lot of disorganization and
disorder in Linux desktop developer circles.

The specific problem that started the current discussions roiling the
Linux desktop waters was explored by Dave Neary, a member and former
director of the GNOME <http://www.gnome.org/>, in a commentary on how
Canonical and Ubuntu people claimed that "We offered our help to GNOME,
and they didn't want it.
<http://blogs.gnome.org/bolsh/2011/03/07/has-gnome-rejected-canonical-help>"

[More]

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/ubuntu-linux-and-gnome-the-disputes-continue/8469

--
"Aaah....another pointless day when I've achieved nothing."
                   Bender, Futurama.