Unity interface

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 21:38:29 UTC 2011

On 9 March 2011 19:29, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9 March 2011 19:17, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> - and I think WindowMaker looks great, myself. I've
>> hand-rolled one myself in a VM a couple of times (once based on 10.04,
>> once on 10.10) but the integration is very poor - as far as I can see,
>> WindowMaker's app menu is incapable of picking up the
>> currently-available apps in the Debian menu, let alone the Ubuntu
>> application menu.
>

> This would suggest it's not using the freedesktop.org standards for
> such things (which was basically KDE and GNOME agreeing where to put
> standard desktop elements, and other DEs following suit). A Simple
> Matter of Programming, then!

:¬)

I think it's just not very Debian-aware.

Some WMs and environments can pick up the Debian app menu, which
Ubuntu builds on its.

Openbox can't, though, for example - AFAICT - so Crunchbang (or at
least, these days, its OB-based edition) can't either.

Maybe there is some plugin or something. Sure, for a distro, you could
hand-edit the list of entries, and make it a /lot/ smoother than it is
now, but that's no help if the user starts adding & removing apps...

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com