Unity interface

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 13:30:09 UTC 2011

On 7 March 2011 21:54, Michael Haney <thezorch at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 4:01 PM, J <dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 15:15, Michael Haney <thezorch at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> You that like its a bad thing. ;-)
>>>
>>> With so many DEs around that clone the Windows desktop its good to
>>> have something that's different.
>>
>> Not at all, but the post I was commenting on implies that Ubuntu is
>> just becomming a rip-off of OSX because sabdfl is jealous of Steve
>> Jobs, which is just ludicrous.
>>

> You're probably right, but who really knows what Shuttleworth is thinking.

Well, you could email him and ask him. Our highly-esteemed SABDFL is a
very accessible, approachable chap.

>> I just don't understand the complaints... Unity is a rip-off of OSX,
>> according to some, and the Gnome interface is just plain better.  But
>> no one stops to think that the Gnome interface is based completely on
>> 16 years or so of Windows UIs...  KDE is the same way... in fact, I
>> STOPPED running a KDE desktop way back when because it was just TOO
>> Windows like... :/
>
> Technically, Gnome is supposed to be flexible so you can pretty much
> make it look like whatever you want it to look like.  Which is why
> stock Gnome looks like the Windows UI but the Ubuntu implementation is
> more Mac OS X-like with the menus at the top left of the screen.  In
> fact, some distros remove the bottom panel with the application task
> bar and put Gnome Do in its place.

I will take your word about GNOME Do - never used it - but Ubuntu's is
quite close to the default GNOME layout, which is of 2 panels - a top
one with menus and quick-launch buttons and the tray and clock, and a
bottom one with window and desktop switchers, minimise all, and so on.

It is vaguely distinctive, yes, and it works fairly well on small
screens, but it's wasteful as hell on big screens. On one big monitor,
I merge the panels into one, Windows-style. (And what I really want is
one down the left, as I actually have it on Windows, but GNOME's
vertical panel support is so poor that it just doesn't work.)

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com