Thank goodness for Unity

Nathan Bahn nathan.bahn at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 02:30:16 UTC 2011

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 2:45 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> https://afaikblog.wordpress.com/2011/03/01/where-did-the-buttons-go/
>

> - d.

D.G.--

I got a look at Unity and I must say that I do not understand what the
developers at Canonical are thinking.  Three things:

   1. Why did they remove the date/time?
   2. Why did they remove the local weather?
   3. Why did they not provide a tutorial or even -- god forbid -- a manual
   for Unity?

The developers seem to be operating under the -- wholly unwarranted --
assumption that EVERYONE is proficient with the C.L.I.!  Much as I would
like to upgrade to 11.04 when it is released -- I have heard some positive
things about Libre Office -- having that Unity G.U.I. turns what should be
an easy decision into a hard one; and eliminating the date/time and local
weather is completely unjustified -- it is almost as though that they were
removed merely for the sake of change.

--N.B.
See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html &
http://www.libreoffice.org/ (Nathan Bahn)