Ubuntu Security: Holes Found, Holes Fixed

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sat Mar 5 11:40:51 UTC 2011

Oh my God! There are security holes in Ubuntu 10.04
<http://www.zdnet.com/news/holes-found-in-linux-ubuntu-kernel/6199627>!
The sky is falling! Bill Gates is the maker of the one true operating
system; forgive us Bill for we have worshiped at the feet of false
Penguin idols. Oh please, give me a break!

Linux, like all other operating systems and software, has security
holes. Always has, always will. No one ever said Linux was perfect. It's
not. It never will be.

What makes Ubuntu and Linux better than most of their competitors aren't
that they are flawless. It's that when bugs are found, they fixed as
fast as possible and then the fixes are pushed out to users
/immediately/. There is no monthly Patch Tuesday
<http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/ms-patch-tuesday-heads-up-critical-flaws-in-windows-office/8288>.
If there's a significant problem, its tracked down and fixed. Period.
End of statement.

That is after all, the whole point of open source. This specific process
is called Linus' Law
<http://www.catb.org/%7Eesr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/ar01s04.html>
by its author, Eric S. Raymond in his seminal description of open-source
software development, The Cathedral and the Bazaar
<http://www.catb.org/%7Eesr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/index.html>.
Formally, this "law" is that "Given a large enough beta-tester and
co-developer base, almost every problem will be characterized quickly
and the fix will be obvious to someone," but if you know it, you
probably know it as: "Given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow."

It also helps that Linux is inherently more secure than Windows. Linux
is based on the design idea that it's working on a multi-user, networked
systems. From its very start, it was built to deal with a potentially
hostile world. Windows wasn't.

[More]

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/ubuntu-security-holes-found-holes-fixed/8402

--
Foreign aid might be defined as a transfer of money from poor people in rich countries to rich people in poor countries.