Does anyone have an e-ink device to test some pages for me?

J dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 17:35:16 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 12:29, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3 March 2011 17:16, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 01:13, J <dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Not sure if any e-book readers support that format though.  I know for
>>> the nook, you have to convert them to ePub anyway (Calibre supposedly
>>> does this and I'm about to find out how well it works after I send
>>> this e-mail).
>
>> This is great to know, thanks!
>

> Does anyone else find Calibre just really horrible to use?
>
> Evince should handle any document - it does cbr and cbz ... time for
> someone to hack out the ebook code from Calibre for it ...

Well, to be honest, I really only use Calibre for side loading things
onto my nook, I don't use it to actually read e-books, that's why I
bought the nook in the first place.  But I'd never had problems until
now...

As for comics archives, it seems to be ok natively with  cbz, which is
Zip compressed, but the Calibre packages for Ubuntu at least do not
contain libunrar.so so it does not natively handle cbr files (at least
when I was converting them to ePub).

BUT, while it's not a trivial workaround from the perspective of the
newbie, if you have any experience with shared libraries, adding
libunrar.so is a trivial task.

However, Calibre has other issues when doing bulk conversions and
seems to fire apport a lot (it doesn't cleanly close every instance of
calibre-parallel it fires off).

BUT, all that being said, for what I do with it, it works well.

Cheers,

Jeff