Facebook users: ask for Linux software

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 02:30:55 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 10:00 PM, Michael Haney <thezorch at gmail.com> wrote:
> Linux is really starting to catch on more than most people realize.
> Partially its due to Ubuntu getting so much attention, and part of it
> is the fact that social networking and Twitter now make it possible
> for people to learn about alternatives to Windows when they otherwise
> would never have know there were any before.

Sorry. It's getting late.

The other thing I meant to add is that the situation is a bit
different for companies providing freeware, such as drivers, that talk
to hardware that they sell. It's directly in their interest to sell
kit to Linux users, and the more Linux users there are and the more
vocal they are, the better the chances of good Linux drivers for
existing hardware. The pros and cons are quite different for this sort
of code than for proprietary commercial software, where if it is
expensive it will get pirated and if it's very popular then someone
will come up with a Free version and destroy the company's market.

If you want a high-quality desktop Unix with a wide choice of
commercial software, the only real answer is Mac OS X.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com