Apache Webserver for Webmin

Tue Mar 1 10:12:33 UTC 2011

Derek Maciel wrote:

> I'm asking this because whenever I browse to a Webmin installation, no
> matter what server it's installed on or whatever computer I'm
> accessing it from, my internet browser always warns me that an
> intruder could be stealing information as the server's certificate is
> not accepted by my operating system.

It's more likely that this is down to Webmin using a self-signed
certificate. The only way round that is to purchase a certificate for
the domain at which you're accessing Webmin and configure Webmin to
use it.

SSL certificates, in the main, perform two functions. They encrypt the
data stream between you and the remote server, and they allow the
server to prove they are who they say they are (through you both
trusting some certificate authority).
Self-signed certificates, lacking the certificate authority, Allow you
to encrypt the stream between you and the server, but don't allow you
to guarantee that the server is who it says it is. This is what that
warning is telling you, and this is why re-generating a self-signed
certificate wont get rid of it, and nor will having Apache serve the
self-signed certificate.

--
Avi.