Libreoffice for lts users

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Fri Jan 28 12:24:33 UTC 2011

At 10:55am -0500 Thu, 27 Jan 2011, Tommy Trussell wrote:
> If you have a spare machine you could try backporting it to your
> machine yourself -- the tools are fairly automatic, though I suspect
> LibreOffice still takes a long time to compile -- OpenOffice was
> notorious for that.

Yes, it does.  The LO developers are chunking away at the build time and
robustness piece by piece, but it still takes over 2.5 hours on
3-year-old dual core machine (4GB RAM).  And that's with utilizing a ram
disk for /tmp.  (The build process uses /tmp for temporary build files,
and at some point uses up 400MiB.)

The build process is also still highly dependent on correct development
settings, so if you are planning this route, be prepared for some headache.

Kevin