Libreoffice for lts users

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 15:55:41 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 1:39 AM, Alex Cockell
<alex at acockell.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:
> Out of interest, if Libreoffice has more import/export filters etc, are
> there plans to backport it to Lucid?
>
> Or then again, it'll be much more mature at next lts...

Yes, if you want to wait until 2012, LibreOffice will almost
definitely have some more features and bug fixes by then.

But I just looked at https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libreoffice
and I believe the answer is yes, there is already an unofficial,
untrusted backport for Lucid, and I suspect it will be an official
backport at some point.

If you have a spare machine you could try backporting it to your
machine yourself -- the tools are fairly automatic, though I suspect
LibreOffice still takes a long time to compile -- OpenOffice was
notorious for that.

But you could just download the packages from the LibreOffice page and
see if they work for you. MUCH easier!