Ubuntu opts for LibreOffice over Oracle's OpenOffice

David Sanders dsuzukisanders at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 17:58:21 UTC 2011

On 24 Jan 2011 17:41, "Ari Torhamo" <ari.torhamo at gmail.com> wrote:

> ma, 2011-01-24 kello 09:29 -0600, Samuel Thurston kirjoitti:
>

> > Perhaps my perception is wrong, but isn't the *point* of an LTS
> > release that the available features don't change?
>
> More precisely the point is to have an as stable release as possible.
> The point is *not* prevent users from doing there individual choises
> regarding software they install. Many want the peace of mind the stable
> release brings, but at the same time need a recent version of some piece
> of software that's essential to them (sticking with a two year old
> version may not always be feasible).
>
> Want new software, get the new release.
>
> It's not that simple, as I just explained.

It's not that simple though. Dependencies change, API breakages occur and so
on. The only way to guarantee stability is to test the whole platform. If
you want out of that system then use PPAs, just don't expect the same
stability or support.

The alternative, IMO, is the windows nightmare of broken dependencies and
libs.