Ubuntu opts for LibreOffice over Oracle's OpenOffice

Samuel Thurston sam.thurston at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 18:04:06 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 11:40 AM, Ari Torhamo <ari.torhamo at gmail.com> wrote:
> ma, 2011-01-24 kello 09:29 -0600, Samuel Thurston kirjoitti:
>

>> Perhaps my perception is wrong, but isn't the *point* of an LTS
>> release that the available features don't change?
>
> More precisely the point is to have an as stable release as possible.
> The point is *not* prevent users from doing there individual choises
> regarding software they install. Many want the peace of mind the stable
> release brings, but at the same time need a recent version of some piece
> of software that's essential to them (sticking with a two year old
> version may not always be feasible).

well not to nitpick, but you're absolutely free to install the
distributed .deb from LO.org or use the PPA.  I guess I fail to see a
problem here.

> Want new software, get the new release.
>
> It's not that simple, as I just explained.

And as I explained, since nobody has requested LO be added to the
backports repo, there must not be sufficient demand for it.  You still
have all the choice in the world.  It's not as though you're "stuck"
using an old version of LO... or anything else for that matter.