Ubuntu opts for LibreOffice over Oracle's OpenOffice

Samuel Thurston sam.thurston at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 15:29:27 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 5:19 AM, Christopher Chan
<christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
> On Monday, January 24, 2011 02:37 PM, Samuel Thurston wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 12:25 AM, Christopher Chan
>> <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Is not Lucid a Long Term Support release? I demand my LibreOffice for
>>> Lucid!
>>>

>> Don't get used to having your demands met, but...
>>

>> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/01/new-ppa-makes-installing-libreoffice-on-ubuntu-easy/
>>

> Ha! If I was getting my expectations met, I would not be taking jabs at that
> LTS/Long Term Support moniker.
>
> Ubuntu is probably the only distro where a 'supported' release only gets
> token security updates. Give me a break.

Perhaps my perception is wrong, but isn't the *point* of an LTS
release that the available features don't change?   This way you have
a stable environment suitable for production that is unlikely to
break.  That was my understanding anyway.  The official Ubuntu
explanation of LTS is pretty clear, LTS is for security/bugfixes for 3
years.  Want new software, get the new release.

I should also point out that launchpad has a project for managing
uptake in the lucid-backports repo, here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/lucid-backports

and I see no requests for libreoffice in the bugs.  Maybe try voicing
your disappointment there?